...ontheroad

I'm not bräve, just naïve...

Saturday, February 18, 2006

"The Evening News starts NOW..."

Ever since moving here I've watched the French language television news substantially more often than the English broadcasts. That's because a) they're another very useful way to understand and speak more French on a daily basis, and b) they're much much better than the programmes on the English networks. This week, however, I've been tempted back to the darkside, to channel 46 where'll you find these two anchors presenting the provincial news. The fella is Raymond Filion (that's Raye-monde Fill-eee-on) and next to him is Jamie Orchard. I'd love to show you a photo of Aphrodite Sallas, but I think I'll just leave you with the mental image her name projects.

Global have just re-zigged their logo, ident music, on-screen style and news graphics. It certainly looks more zingy and dynamic, but I'm not a big fan of being told that "The Evening News starts NOW..." at the beginning of the six o'clock news. Partly because I think I might have guessed that's what was happening (what with all the zingy music and flashing colours) and also because it's not true... it started thirty seconds earlier when M. Filion started reading the headlines. These things do matter... I suspect I'm just a TV hussy though, and I'll just stick with Global until another network re-designs their on screen look and sound.

And in other news this week: I have forked out $300 to return to the YMCA School of Languages in two weeks time to take up level 5 of the French Grammar and Conversation course. It's also being complimented by a weekly English-French language exchange with Mélisse in the trendy tea bars of rue St. Denis. Suddenly my weeks are looking much more busy again.

*j*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home