...ontheroad

I'm not bräve, just naïve...

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Good things come in brown packages...

I don't want to spoil the surprise for any Sunday night regulars who might be reading this in advance of tonight's meal chéz nous, but yesterday was passed happily on avenue du Mont Royal searching out ingredients for tonight's winter-dish. I had walked from the apartment as far as east as Papineau, and was on the verge of giving up. What I really wanted at the moment was a good independent butcher, with lots of choice and perhaps some cheese as well. I desperately wanted to avoid buying the principal ingredient in the supermarket. And then, just sometimes, you get what you wish for... I found the dream butcher. Mountains of red meat piled up in shining display cabinets. Beef, lamb, veal, sausages (oh, the sausages...). If I had been born fifty years ago I could imagine a scenario where I would cast a son or daughter out of my house for announcing their homosexuality. Now, I can only imagine the same if such a hypothetical sprog was to declare his or her vegetarianism. Just think of the joy that they would be removing from their lives...

So, a kilo of beef bourginon was purchased for a very reasonable price, and the smell of the magic ingredients that have complimented it are now spreading through the apartment. I remember Charlotte once telling me that the best meals are the ones that are prepared six hours in advance, and which gradually seep their character through the rooms of the apartment, exciting the senses for the evening ahead. I had forgotten just how right she is :-)

Oh, and by the way, that photograph has nothing to do with tonight's meal. Rest assured, it's just Ryan doing his weekend thang and chopping a pineapple (99c in the supermarket) for breakfast this morning. No pineapple will be involved in tonight's dish.

See you at 8.

*j*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home