...ontheroad

I'm not bräve, just naïve...

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Living in a box...

I find it increasingly worrying the way that my mind is being sucked into little boxes and fixated with their contents. On average, I spend seven hours every week day cross referencing, checking, and processing vast Microsoft Excel spreadsheets. Numbers get crunched, forumlas get tested and verified, and James' eyes go square... but of course it's all about saving money for our customers, so that's a good thing.

And then the moment I'm on the métro on my way home at night (and on the way in as well) I end up doing the su-doku puzzle in one of the two daily free newspapers that are distributed in the Montréal transit system. Depending on the day, it can be '24 Heures' or 'Metro' that stumps me, some days I even get both done, one on the commute to work and one on the commute home.

Some people monitor their progress solving number puzzles by the time it takes to finish them. I've found, however, that I pay more attention to the distance I can cover riding the métro. Without any service disruptions, today I finished one in the distance between Berri-UQAM and Pie-IX stations. If there's a delay on the line, then I can sometimes beat that too...

*j*

1 Comments:

Blogger James said...

No copies of 24 Heures at Mont-Royal métro this morning, so just Metro to stump me. And a little harder than yesterday, but solved between Berri-UQAM and Viau stations.

*j*

8:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home